Contributing to economic and social development
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) can be seen as an example of what in general terms is stated by Business Ethics. Ethics deal with values, norms and standards that we - both individually and collectively - apply to our behavior and our activities. In a global society the debate about these values, norms and standards is essential in order to (prosperously) co-exist and contribute to a life worth living. An open dialogue is also - if not predominantly - required for the economic arena, where different stakeholders might have different views on the responsibilities of corporations, investors, governments and the civil society.
This program will provide you with the theoretical and practical CSR skills. You will explore the different theoretical aspects of CSR and learn how to apply the concepts to the practice of your own organization.
Sustainable Business Development
20 - 24 November 2017
At the end of the course you
- understand the underlying concepts of CSR and have gained management knowledge about Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability Approaches
- have insight into strategic CSR implementation and the ability to use different CSR tools.
- are able to identify different CSR approaches and to find solutions for complex societal and ecological challenges.
- know how to communicate properly to different stakeholders about the role of his/her business in society.
- developed an appropriate CSR strategy for your business enterprise.
- understand what role corporations may play in this development in terms of CSR;
Topics included in the program are:
- Definition CSR
- Internal and external elements of CSR
- Role of ethics within CSR
- Tools of ethical, environmental and social responsibility with an emphasis on systems, standards, organizational change and reporting
- The role of government, business and civil society in achieving sustainable development
- Ethical problems and dilemmas and the skills to solve these
- Stakeholder analysis meeting
- Developing a CSR strategy
The program adopts various teaching and learning techniques, such as: lecture/discussion format, case
studies and decision-making models, obligatory and recommended literature, business planning, group discussion and presentations, exercises and research with computer and library facilities, field visits and workshops. Strong emphasis is placed on student participation and involvement. The purpose is to utilize the experience and background of the students in a more synergistic program, compared to traditional school formats.
The program is designed for
- Senior executives and policy makers involved in CSR management or who have a strong motivation to learn more about sustainable development issues
- Consultants and lecturers working in the field related to sustainable development and CSR
Diederik P. de Boer, PhD
Diederik de Boer works as an Assistant Professor in Sustainable Agri-Business Development at Maastricht School of Management. He holds a PhD from the Erasmus University (the Netherlands), an MPA from Leiden/Rotterdam University (the Netherlands), an MBA from Bradford/Tilburg University (U.K./The Netherlands) and a Minor in Small and Micro Credit Schemes from Harvard University Boston (USA). He worked for seven years for the United Nations and the Dutch Ministry for Development Cooperation in Cambodia, Mongolia, Korea and Palestine. At MSM he is managing projects related to sustainable business development in a variety of countries including Kenya, Ethiopia, Georgia and Jordan. At MSM he is teaching corporate social responsibility. His research focuses on impact investment and triple helix constructs.
Mirjana Stanisic MSc
Mirjana Stanisic has extensive experience in donor-funded projects in emerging and countries in transition (Egypt, Romania, Bangladesh, Serbia and Montenegro). She worked previously as a national expert in Serbia and Montenegro and has several years of experience in international cooperation with relevant international bodies for environment and climate change. Mirjana published more than ten articles in the field of environment and participated in various project and programs funded by UNEP, UNECE, World Bank, IUFRO). Currently she is working as a consultant and lecturer at Maastricht School of Management, conducting training sessions in project management, proposal writing, sustainable development and soft skills. Besides project management and consultancy experience, she provides mentoring and coaching of participants in their individual action plans.
ScholarshipsAvailable MSM Scholarships for private sponsorship candidates >
Dean's Development Fund: select your country below to see the actual price
The tuition fee of this course is € 2499.
Tuition fee includes all course materials and study materials. Tuition fee does not include housing, food and living expenses. Participants are required to arrange their own housing facilities. MSM can assist in finding hotel accommodation.
Alumni Lifelong Learning:
15% discount for Maastricht School of Management registered Alumni
15% for 2 participants coming from the same organization within 1 academic year
25% for 3 particpants coming from the same organizatin within 1 academic year
40% for 4 - 6 participants coming from the same organization within 1 academic year
For > 6 participants we will offer a tailor made program
European Star Scholarship:
50% for European citizens and long term residents. Sumbit a 2 - 3 page essay on the topic: "What will be the positive change for my organization and me after participating in this course?".
MSM reserves the right to postpone or cancel the program in case the number of participants does not meet the MSM requirements for minimum number of participants. Any payment made to MSM for tuition fee will be refunded. In the case of postponement or cancellation of the program MSM will inform the enrolled candidates at least six weeks before the planned start of the program.
By the participant:
If an admitted participant decides against participation, she/he or, if applicable, the sponsor is liable for the following cancellation costs:
• 25% of the tuition fee if cancellation is between eight to seven weeks before the start of the program.
• 50% of the tuition fee if cancellation is between six to four weeks before the start of the program.
• 75% of the tuition fee if cancellation is within four weeks of the start of the program.
• In case cancellation is done after the program has started no money will be refunded.
• No cancellation charges are incurred if the enrolled candidate or the client, with written consent of MSM, will be replaced by another candidate before the start of the course. Refunded tuition fees will only be reimbursed to the sponsoring party and cannot be forwarded or redeemed by any other party.
Candidates who were not granted a visa to enter The Netherlands, can be fully reimbursed if written official documentation is provided of such visa denial.
23 October 2017
Applicants should have the ability to function academically and professionally at Bachelor level and should have an adequate level of spoken and written English.
Reasons to follow Corporate Social Responsibility
- Understand the underlying concepts of CSR and gain management knowledge
about Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability approaches
- Learn how to develop tools of ethical, environmental and social responsibility with
an emphasis on systems, standards, organizational change and reporting
- Develop the skills to implement, monitor and evaluate a CSR strategy
- Get inspired by exposure visits and guest lecturers from experts in CSR
- Benefit from the interactive learning environment and exchange views and
experiences with peers and experts from around the world