Improving public policy making
Formulating and implementing public policies is an important responsibility of modern governments. Policy objectives and instruments get determined in the interaction between public authorities and stakeholders. Actors and institutions such as branches of government, political parties, interest groups, regulatory agencies, and non-governmental organizations and citizens are involved in policy making to varying degrees, depending on the particular policy domain and phase of the policy process.
The quality of public policy making is greatly influenced by following an approach including aspects such as problem identification, stakeholder analysis, agenda setting, developing policy options, and deciding on policy options, implementation plan, monitoring and evaluation.
This program informs you on the most relevant aspects of effective policy making and offers the tools and instruments that can help you in developing effective policies. The program takes a practice oriented approach providing you with examples from practitioners.
Public Policy, Governance & Administration
13-17 November 2017
What to expect
- Policy making framework and policy making tools
- What and how of stakeholder analysis
- Creative development of policy options
- Structured approach to policy decision making
- Identification of unexpected outcomes
- Defining a sound implementation plan
- Monitoring policy implementation
- Developing for policy evaluation
The program is designed for:
- Policy makers and planners from government organizations
- Policy makers from government related organizations
- Others interested in the process of public policy making
Wynand E.J. Bodewes, PhD
Wynand Bodewes (1966) is an Associate Professor of Entrepreneurship at Maastricht School of Management where he teaches several Entrepreneurship courses in the Master in Management, MSc in Management and Engineering, MBA and Executive MBA programs, both in Maastricht and abroad. He is also the Academic Coordinator of MSM’s growing portfolio of Executive Education programs. He holds an MSc in Business Administration from the School of Management and Organization at the University of Groningen (1993) and a PhD in General Management from the Rotterdam School of Management at Erasmus University (2000). Although initially destined to become a Chemical Engineer Wynand later switched to Business Administration. Before pursuing his PhD in General Management at the Rotterdam School of Management (RSM), Erasmus University, he was briefly affiliated with Maastricht University to work on his master thesis.
Dr. Bodewes co-authored several papers and books, and he regularly acts as an ad-hoc reviewer for the Academy of Management Journal, Organization Science, Long Range Planning and other scholarly journals. He was one of the founding fathers and the initial academic director of the degree program that later evolved into the current Entrepreneurship MSc program at RSM. In 2009 Wynand returned to Maastricht University to help build and deliver an outstanding portfolio of entrepreneurship courses to students in many of the university’s degree programs. During his tenure with Maastricht University Wynand also taught at the KU Leuven as a Visiting professor of Entrepreneurship. At the KU Leuven he was instrumental to the introduction of a MSc track in (Technology) Entrepreneurship.
In November 2016 Wynand joined Maastricht School of Management to help expand its portfolio of Entrepreneurship courses and programs. At MSM Wynand hopes to create new teaching cases, expand MSM’s European engagement in short Executive programs, and he looks forward to co-create new and relevant scholarly insights with DBA and PhD candidates at MSM. Wynand is keen on collaborating with ambitious entrepreneurs. For him, smallness is only but a temporary characteristic of true entrepreneurship. Wynand is married, a proud father of two, and a true gadgets afficianado.
- Scalability and Growth
- Business modeling
- Opportunity discovery and development
ScholarshipsAvailable MSM Scholarships for private sponsorship candidates >
Dean's Development Fund: select your country below to see the actual price
The tuition fee of this course is € 2499.
Tuition fee includes all course materials and study materials. Tuition fee does not include housing, food and living expenses. Participants are required to arrange their own housing facilities. MSM can assist in finding hotel accommodation.
Alumni Lifelong Learning:
15% discount for Maastricht School of Management registered Alumni
15% for 2 participants coming from the same organization within 1 academic year
25% for 3 particpants coming from the same organizatin within 1 academic year
40% for 4 - 6 participants coming from the same organization within 1 academic year
For > 6 participants we will offer a tailor made program
European Star Scholarship:
50% for European citizens and long term residents. Sumbit a 2 - 3 page essay on the topic: "What will be the positive change for my organization and me after participating in this course?".
MSM reserves the right to postpone or cancel the program in case the number of participants does not meet the MSM requirements for minimum number of participants. Any payment made to MSM for tuition fee will be refunded. In the case of postponement or cancellation of the program MSM will inform the enrolled candidates at least six weeks before the planned start of the program.
By the participant:
If an admitted participant decides against participation, she/he or, if applicable, the sponsor is liable for the following cancellation costs:
• 25% of the tuition fee if cancellation is between eight to seven weeks before the start of the program.
• 50% of the tuition fee if cancellation is between six to four weeks before the start of the program.
• 75% of the tuition fee if cancellation is within four weeks of the start of the program.
• In case cancellation is done after the program has started no money will be refunded.
• No cancellation charges are incurred if the enrolled candidate or the client, with written consent of MSM, will be replaced by another candidate before the start of the course.Refunded tuition fees will only be reimbursed to the sponsoring party and cannot be forwarded or redeemed by any other party.
Candidates who were not granted a visa to enter The Netherlands, can be fully reimbursed if written official documentation is provided of such visa denial.
9 October 2017
Applicants should have the ability to function academically and professionally at Bachelor level and should have an adequate level of spoken and written English.
Reasons to follow the Policy Making Course
- Learn how to deal with complexities and uncertainties in publc policy making
- Improve your skills in policy making and implementation
- Learn how to link the knowledge and skills directly to the daily practice of your organization through the practice oriented and focused approach
- Get inspired by exposure visits and guest lectures from experts in policy making
- Benefit from the interactive learning environment and exchange views with peers and experts from around the world