Developing and managing monitoring systems in development projects
With the MSM Project Monitoring Tools program you will broaden your knowledge of monitoring & evaluations tools for development interventions, international procurement procedures and reporting techniques and content. You will get access to all the resources necessary to develop and manage monitoring systems and throughout the course you will build a Monitoring & Evaluation system for a real project.
The development industry is becoming more and more demanding. Companies and NGOs are pressured by donor agencies to show evidence of their capacity. Development professionals face increasingly higher barriers to join the industry. Experience is a requirement but can only be gained through the understanding of how the industry works.
The evaluation of development interventions is nowadays a requirement of all donor agencies. In a context of limited resources and with an emerging new paradigm in the development industry it is crucial to master project monitoring tools in all its dimensions: procurement procedures, reporting, monitoring and evaluation tools and techniques. The Project Monitoring Tools course will enable you to acquire the monitoring skills highly demanded in the development industry.
Did you know that you can combine this course with the Project Design Tools course which will run the week before? Combining these two courses will save you up to a maximum of €500,-
Leadership & Management
Certificate (diploma optional)
16 - 20 April 2018
After finalizing the course, you will be familiar with international procurement procedures to implement contracts of goods and services. You will have learned the main characteristics of a Monitoring and evaluation system, how to design and manage it by making use of appropriate tools. The course will assist you in the design of an M&E system and will give you insights on data collection methods, data analysis and interpretation, reporting and how to design evaluation questions.
Topics included in the program are:
- International procurement procedures
- Main characteristics of a Monitoring & Evaluation system,
- Tools to develop and manage an M&E system
- Design of an Monitoring & Evaluation system
- Data collection methods
- Data analysis and interpretation
- Reporting and how to design evaluation questions
- Main implementation stages of development projects
- Reporting obligations and techniques
- Structure, contents and materials to design your own training course
During the course the following approaches will be used:
- Group work
Lectures are based on practical assignments that are conducted by work groups. The outcome of the assignments are presented in the classroom and discussed with colleagues. Throughout the process, students prepare themselves the examples that illustrate the theoretical concepts shared during the lectures, while strengthening their presentations skills.
The program is designed for:
- Project managers at international and local NGOs
- Free-lance consultants willing to expand market opportunities
- Professionals working in donor agencies looking for specialized training in M&E systems
- Future trainers on development related subjects willing to expand the scope of their training activities
- Professionals working in consultancy firms operating in the development industry
Each participant receives a certificate of attendance on the last day of the course. Only for those who will complete an additional assignment will receive a diploma. In case you would like to have more information you contact email@example.com
Rui Miguel Santos
Rui Miguel Santos has extensive experience in donor funded projects in countries around the world (including Estonia, Moldova, China / Macau, Cameroon, Gabon, and Senegal). He is a Portuguese national and lectures at various institutions including:
- The three most prestigious Portuguese universities (Technical University, New University and Catholic University)
- The Netherlands (Maastricht School of Management)
- Rwanda (Rwanda Institute of Administration and Management)
- Moldova (Academy of Public Administration).
Throughout his career, Rui has delivered training courses to students from more than 30 countries and is familiar with diverse, multicultural audiences.
Mirjana Stanisic MSc
Mirjana Stanisic has extensive experience in donor-funded projects in emerging and countries in transition (Egypt, Romania, Bangladesh, Serbia and Montenegro). She worked previously as a national expert in Serbia and Montenegro and has several years of experience in international cooperation with relevant international bodies for environment and climate change. Mirjana published more than ten articles in the field of environment and participated in various project and programs funded by UNEP, UNECE, World Bank, IUFRO). Currently she is working as a consultant and lecturer at Maastricht School of Management, conducting training sessions in project management, proposal writing, sustainable development and soft skills. Besides project management and consultancy experience, she provides mentoring and coaching of participants in their individual action plans.
The full tuition fee
The tuition fee of this course is € 2,499.
Tuition fee includes all course materials and study materials. Tuition fee does not include housing, food and living expenses. Participants are required to arrange their own housing facilities. MSM can assist in finding hotel accommodation.
Scholarship opportunities can be combined up to 50% of the full tuition fee.
15% for 2 participants coming from the same organization within 1 academic year
25% for 3 participants coming from the same organization within 1 academic year
40% for 4 - 6 participants coming from the same organization within 1 academic year
For > 6 participants we will offer a tailor made program
European Star Scholarship:
50% for European citizens and long term residents. Submit a 2 - 3 page essay on the topic: "What will be the positive change for my organization and me after participating in this course?"
Alumni Lifelong Learning:
15% discount for Maastricht School of Management registered Alumni
Dean's Development Fund:
Select your country below to see the actual price of the program (full tuition fee-/-DDF scholarship)
The tuition fee of this course is (select country).
MSM reserves the right to postpone or cancel the program in case the number of participants does not meet the MSM requirements for minimum number of participants. Any payment made to MSM for tuition fee will be refunded. In the case of postponement or cancellation of the program MSM will inform the enrolled candidates at least six weeks before the planned start of the program.
By the participant:
If an admitted participant decides against participation after the tuition fee has been paid, cancellation costs are €200,- (administrative costs)
In case cancellation is done after the program has started no money will be refunded.
No cancellation charges are incurred if the enrolled participant, with written consent of MSM, will be replaced by another participant before the start of the course. Refunded tuition fees will only be reimbursed to the sponsoring party and cannot be forwarded or redeemed by any other party.
Participants who were not granted a visa to enter The Netherlands, can be fully reimbursed if written official documentation is provided of such visa denial.
15 March 2018
Applicants should have the ability to function academically and professionally at Bachelor level and should have an adequate level of spoken and written English.
Reasons to follow the Project Monitoring Tools executive course
- Broaden your knowledge of monitoring & evaluations tools for development interventions, international procurement procedures and reporting techniques and content
- Benefit from the hands-on-approach based on real life cases enabling you to immediately apply the knowledge gained throughout the course
- Work in groups together with professionals from around the world, in a multicultural and diverse environment
- Gain insights into how multilateral agencies manage their operations
- Get access to all the resources necessary to develop and manage monitoring systems and build a Monitoring & Evaluation system throughout the course for a real project