Promoting investment in emerging economies
MSM has designed one of the first courses in Europe that comprises an introduction to blended financial instruments, a critical knowledge area to take full advantage of a new generation of financial sources aimed at promoting private investment in emerging economies.
2015 has been a critical year for global economic development. Leaders from around the world adopted a global 2030 development agenda at a UN Summit in September 2015. The new global goals, called the Sustainable Development Goals, are ambitious and demand equal ambition in using the “billions” in Official Development Assistance to channel and crowd-in “trillions” in investments of all kinds: public and private, national and international. These goals will drive the global economic development agenda over the next 15 years.
Taking full advantage of blended financial instruments to finance business projects that will create jobs and boost economic development is a critical challenge for business people all around the world.
Leadership & Management
2 - 6 October 2017
During the course following topics will be discussed
- Introduction to Financing for Development;
- The Role of the Private Sector in Financing for Development;
- Private Finance for Development;
- The Financing Role of Multilateral Development Banks.
During the course the following approaches will be used:
- Group work
Lectures are based on practical assignments that are conducted by work groups. The outcome of the assignments are presented in the classroom and discussed with colleagues. Throughout the process, students prepare themselves the examples that illustrate the theoretical concepts shared during the lectures, while strengthening their presentations skills.
- Project leaders, project team members and program coordinators with managerial tasks
- Consultants dealing with project activities
Rui Miguel Santos
Rui Miguel Santos has extensive experience in donor funded projects in countries around the world (including Estonia, Moldova, China / Macau, Cameroon, Gabon, and Senegal). He is a Portuguese national and lectures at various institutions including:
- The three most prestigious Portuguese universities (Technical University, New University and Catholic University)
- The Netherlands (Maastricht School of Management)
- Rwanda (Rwanda Institute of Administration and Management)
- Moldova (Academy of Public Administration).
Throughout his career, Rui has delivered training courses to students from more than 30 countries and is familiar with diverse, multicultural audiences.
Mirjana Stanisic MSc
Mirjana Stanisic has extensive experience in donor-funded projects in emerging and countries in transition (Egypt, Romania, Bangladesh, Serbia and Montenegro). She worked previously as a national expert in Serbia and Montenegro and has several years of experience in international cooperation with relevant international bodies for environment and climate change. Mirjana published more than ten articles in the field of environment and participated in various project and programs funded by UNEP, UNECE, World Bank, IUFRO). Currently she is working as a consultant and lecturer at Maastricht School of Management, conducting training sessions in project management, proposal writing, sustainable development and soft skills. Besides project management and consultancy experience, she provides mentoring and coaching of participants in their individual action plans.
“It was a great opportunity to learn both in and outside the classroom. The opportunity to interact with people from different cultures under one umbrella was phenomenal. Looking back, the experience at MSM has been transformational. I am more confident about myself and what I can contribute to my country.”
Adwoa Ankobiah, Ghana
The full tuition fee
The tuition fee of this course is € 2,499.
Tuition fee includes all course materials and study materials. Tuition fee does not include housing, food and living expenses. Participants are required to arrange their own housing facilities. MSM can assist in finding hotel accommodation.
15% for 2 participants coming from the same organization within 1 academic year
25% for 3 particpants coming from the same organizatin within 1 academic year
40% for 4 - 6 participants coming from the same organization within 1 academic year
For > 6 participants we will offer a tailor made program
European Star Scholarship:
50% for European citizens and long term residents. Submit a 2 - 3 page essay on the topic: "What will be the positive change for my organization and me after participating in this course?"
Alumni Lifelong Learning:
15% discount for Maastricht School of Management registered Alumni
Dean's Development Fund:
Select your country below to see the actual price of the program (full tuition fee-/-DDF scholarship)
The tuition fee of this course is (select country).
The application fee is € 20.
MSM reserves the right to postpone or cancel the program in case the number of participants does not meet the MSM requirements for minimum number of participants. Any payment made to MSM for tuition fee will be refunded. In the case of postponement or cancellation of the program MSM will inform the enrolled candidates at least six weeks before the planned start of the program.
By the participant:
If an admitted participant decides against participation, she/he or, if applicable, the sponsor is liable for the following cancellation costs:
• 25% of the tuition fee if cancellation is between eight to seven weeks before the start of the program.
• 50% of the tuition fee if cancellation is between six to four weeks before the start of the program.
• 75% of the tuition fee if cancellation is within four weeks of the start of the program.
• In case cancellation is done after the program has started no money will be refunded.
• No cancellation charges are incurred if the enrolled candidate or the client, with written consent of MSM, will be replaced by another candidate before the start of the course.Refunded tuition fees will only be reimbursed to the sponsoring party and cannot be forwarded or redeemed by any other party.
Candidates who were not granted a visa to enter The Netherlands, can be fully reimbursed if written official documentation is provided of such visa denial.
4 September 2017
Applicants should have the ability to function academically and professionally at Bachelor level and should have an adequate level of spoken and written English.
Reasons to follow the Project Finance course
- Financing for Development (FIN4DEV) is a breakthrough topic, still being publicly disseminated, with limited access to structure content as the one will be provided in this course.
- Blended Financial Instruments are a new trend in public-private ventures, offering an all new array of opportunities to private investors.
- The capacity to design relevant, feasible and effective investment projects is crucial to have access to blended financial instruments.
- Work in groups together with professionals from around the world, in a multicultural and diverse environment and, eventually, find new business ideas and partners
- Benefit from the hands-on-approach applied by trainers with practical working experience with international financing agencies.