Improving your leadership skills to improve team and organizational performances
The ability to lead teams and organizations of all shapes and sizes is an essential skill to improve team and organizational performance. Team leaders and organizational leaders need to have a solid understanding of group dynamics and must have the skills to lead without authority, to engage team members, and to leverage constructive conflicts and minimize destructive conflicts. An organizational leader must also be able to build good relationships with external stakeholders that can positively or negatively influence the performance of the organization.
To effectively manage, develop and lead others, you have to be able to manage, develop and lead yourself. Leading yourself means knowing who you are, understanding how you act in different interactions and situations. Personal leadership is also about taking responsibility for your own actions. The greater the challenges, the more relevant personal leadership becomes. How we act and react represents a combination of cultural influences, family values, education, personality development and personal experiences. All these aspects shaped you and influenced your leadership style.
Cross-cutting competences that are needed at the different levels of leadership such as having self awareness, being able to influence, being an effective communicator and a good conflict mediator as well as being an independent learner, are all part of this training. In addition to these general leadership competences, this training will also focus on specific skills like presentation skills and skills in chairing a meeting.
During this course you will explore the role of leaders and your own approach to leading. The focus is on personal development and the development of emotional intelligence. Starting points are your unique strengths. During the course you will learn to integrate new behaviors and mindsets that help you to be more effective for the challenges you are facing.
Leadership & Management
2-13 Oct 2017
What to expect
Topics included in the program are
- How the concept of leadership has emerged and evolved
- Managerial behavior and the role of culture, context and personality
- Principles of effectiveness and success of today ‘s leaders
- Reflection on own career path
- Assessments of leadership style, blindspots, challenges and needs
- The importance of emotional intelligence
- Building credibility, visibility and confidence
- Adapt your leadership style to different individuals and scenario’s
- Lead and integrated life by balancing your work and home life
- Managing difficult personalities and conflict situations
- Learning practical tools to have more influence and impact
- Understanding the psychology of change and resistance
- Improving your dialogue skills
- Improving your negotation skills
- Effective professional communication, presentation
- Translating motivation theories into management actions in relation to the situation of the team and the team members
- Leading team and stakeholder meetings
- Group dynamics and solving conflicts in a group
The program is designed for managers and leaders who want to improve their personal leadership skills and the performance of their team.
Miriam Frijns has been working at MSM as a program manager and trainer since 1994. She has trained multicultural management groups, on different leadership and management related topics. In October 1998 she started Training Advice Centre: “Nihil Admiraria”. Nihil Admiraria develops corporate management training for companies and institutions, using a consultative training approach.
Miriam has done training and consultancy work for companies and organizations such as Xerox, Smallpeice Enterprises Limited (UK), Mercedes-Benz, ITC, IMTA, Indigo Europe, Webster University, ExxonMobil, Alcatel Bel, Stork BV, Rockwoll-Grodan, LDS-US, OMV, Canadian Nexen Petroleum Yemen, Petroleum Training Center, Ministry of Oil and Minerals Yemen, Yemen LNG. The focus point of the training and consultancy is on organizational and individual performance improvement.
She conducted training and consultancy in 29 different countries in the world. Miriam worked as a project manager in Yemen for the establishment of an international recognized executive business school at Sana’a University in cooperation with MSM. In April 2008 she started together with two business partners in Dubai Nihil Admiraria Middle East FZS. She did research and published articles in cooperation with Center for Organizational Performance in the Netherlands.
Miriam studied Educational and Industrial psychology at Tilburg University (Katholieke Universiteit Brabant). She got certified on ITIL, 6 Sigma green belt and EFQM.
“Effective Leadership is not about your absolute knowledge and skills, it is about the perception of your followers on your leadership knowledge and skills. The perception of others about you is depending on your interaction with those others.”
Carin Beijer has over 20 years of experience in working with professionals from all over the world. After her Master degree in Organizational Behaviour she specialized in Management Development and Psychology and Anthropology.
Her focus is on developing professionals, unlocking of their talents and teaching of managerial and leadership skills to improve personal and organizational effectiveness. She combines her organizational and anthropological background with psychological techniques.
As a lecturer in Higher Education she had assignments in the Netherlands, the People's Republic of China (HEMCC) and the Republic of Surinam (FHR). She developed Managerial Development Programs and Personal Leadership Programs for leading business training institutions in the Netherlands. Since 1995 she teaches in the Executive Programs of MSM.
“People are the source of change and innovation. Personal leadership is about taking responsibility for your actions, developing your talents building your integrity and contributing to a world you prefer to live in.”
ScholarshipsAvailable MSM Scholarships for private sponsorship candidates >
Dean's Development Fund: select your country below to see the actual price
The tuition fee for this course is € 4,498
Tuition fee includes all course materials and study materials. Tuition fee does not include housing, food and living expenses. Participants are required to arrange their own housing facilities. MSM can assist in finding hotel accommodation.
Alumni Lifelong Learning:
15% discount for Maastricht School of Management registered Alumni
15% for 2 participants coming from the same organization within 1 academic year
25% for 3 particpants coming from the same organizatin within 1 academic year
40% for 4 - 6 participants coming from the same organization within 1 academic year
For > 6 participants we will offer a tailor made program
European Star Scholarship:
50% for European citizens and long term residents. Sumbit a 2 - 3 page essay on the topic: "What will be the positive change for my organization and me after participating in this course?".
MSM reserves the right to postpone or cancel the program in case the number of participants does not meet the MSM requirements for minimum number of participants. Any payment made to MSM for tuition fee will be refunded. In the case of postponement or cancellation of the program MSM will inform the enrolled candidates at least six weeks before the planned start of the program.
By the participant:
If an admitted participant decides against participation, she/he or, if applicable, the sponsor is liable for the following cancellation costs:
• 25% of the tuition fee if cancellation is between eight to seven weeks before the start of the program.
• 50% of the tuition fee if cancellation is between six to four weeks before the start of the program.
• 75% of the tuition fee if cancellation is within four weeks of the start of the program.
• In case cancellation is done after the program has started no money will be refunded.
• No cancellation charges are incurred if the enrolled candidate or the client, with written consent of MSM, will be replaced by another candidate before the start of the course.Refunded tuition fees will only be reimbursed to the sponsoring party and cannot be forwarded or redeemed by any other party.
Candidates who were not granted a visa to enter The Netherlands, can be fully reimbursed if written official documentation is provided of such visa denial.
Applicants should have the ability to function academically and professionally at Bachelor level and should have an adequate level of spoken and written English.
|NUFFIC deadline for NFP/MSP candidates||Closed|
|Deadline for private sponsored candidates||4 September 2017|
Strengthening university leadership and management capacity
Reasons to follow the Mastering effective leadership skills course
- Get a better understanding on how group dynamics workd and how you as a leader can influence the group dynamics of the team
- Develop your skills of solving conflicts in a group
- Enhance communication skills to effectively communicate with different team members and stakeholders
- Improve your skills in chairing team and stakeholder meetings
- Discorver your own leadership and management style and understand the strengths and weakness of your style
- Understand how to capitalize on your strengths to grow as a person and as a leader
- Develop your personal plan to enhance your leadership skills in order to improve your personal performance as a leader
- Understand your radar of infuence and be able to strategically use your infuence for achieving your leadership performance
- Get inspired by exchanging views and experiences with peer leaders with different cultural backgrounds and different experiences