Building strategic organizational research management capacity
Research and knowledge generation are increasingly important for public and private sector development and innovation. Universities and other research institutions are expected to play a major role in generating the necessary knowledge and hence, invest in enhancing the research competencies of their staff and their organization.
The Research Management course focuses on the managerial aspects for building strategic research capacity in universities and other research institutions. You will develop managerial tools and skills needed to enhance the strategic research capacity of your organization.
You will explore how research can play a key role in sector innovation and identify how to connect and manage research in such a way as to enhance its impact, from defining an effective research strategy to the wider dissemination and application of results. As a result, you will develop the managerial tools and skills needed to enhance the strategic research capacity of your organization.
Higher & Vocational Education
Certificate (diploma optional)
The main objective of the program is for the participants to develop an effective approach, and the necessary skills and tools for managing research strategically. You will explore how research can play a key role in sector innovation and identify how to connect and manage research in such a way as to enhance its impact, from defining an effective research strategy to the wider dissemination and application of results. As a result, you will develop the managerial tools and skills needed to enhance the strategic research capacity of your organization.
During the course following topics will be discussed:
- Developing a research strategy and agenda that are ‘fit-for-purpose’
- Facilitating multi-stakeholder collaboration and partnerships in research
- Planning and monitoring research for sector impact
- Sources of funding research and allocation of financial resources
- Valorization of research output
- Leadership for building strategic research capacity
The course is designed to stimulate discovery and learning by doing. Recent scientific insights in the role of research and knowledge for public and private sector innovation will be shared and their usefulness to the context in which you operate will be assessed. An innovation systems’ approach to situating research strategically in the process of sector development will be introduced. Besides, lecturers will provide regular inputs introducing new perspectives and tools to support strategic analysis and research management. In parallel, throughout the course you will be given individual and group assignments to allow you to get acquainted with the new insights, perspectives and tools by implementing them to your own situation.
The program is designed for
- Academic and administrative leaders of higher education institutions
- Policy makers and planners from Ministries of Science, Research & Innovation, Education, as well as sector Ministries who seek to strengthen their strategic research capacity
- Policy makers and planners from decentralized educational planning bodies and higher education institutions
- Senior lecturers involved in managerial and administrative tasks
- Educational and research consultants
Each participant receives a certificate of attendance on the last day of the course. Only for those who will complete an additional assignment will receive a diploma. In case you would like to have more information you contact email@example.com
Dr. Ir. Paul G.H. Engel is independent management consultant and researcher. He was Director of the European Centre for Development Policy Management (ECDPM – www.ecdpm.org) from 2001 to 2015. His primary field of interest is the role of knowledge and innovation in development, policy and practice. He is a hands-on manager and researcher who started his career by engaging in long-term fieldwork in Africa and Latin America. As a consultant he gained extensive experience in project, program and policy evaluation. At the Department of Communication and Innovation Studies of Wageningen University, the Netherlands, he directed international research programs on strengthening multi-stakeholder interaction for agricultural and rural innovation and, with his team developed RAAKS, a practical multi-stakeholder approach and method to strengthen community resilience and innovative capacities. A published author (English, Spanish), he also taught social organization of innovation for water management and agricultural value-chain development at the University of Concepción, Chile. As manager he directed organizational change in development organizations and networks. Currently, he specializes in global development, the role of policy-oriented research, impact evaluation and (endogenous) capacity development and innovation, with special attention to agriculture, resilience, food security, and water resource management. Since 2012 he chairs the Steering Group of the Dutch Food and Business Knowledge Forum (www.knowledge4food.net).
“ Higher education and research institutions are required to contribute quality professionals and key knowledge to the development of their country and region.”
The full tuition fee
The tuition fee of this course is € 2,499.
Tuition fee includes all course materials and study materials. Tuition fee does not include housing, food and living expenses. Participants are required to arrange their own housing facilities. MSM can assist in finding hotel accommodation.
Scholarship opportunities can be combined up to 50% of the full tuition fee.
15% for 2 participants coming from the same organization within 1 academic year
25% for 3 participants coming from the same organization within 1 academic year
40% for 4 - 6 participants coming from the same organization within 1 academic year
For > 6 participants we will offer a tailor made program
European Star Scholarship:
50% for European citizens and long term residents. Submit a 2 - 3 page essay on the topic: "What will be the positive change for my organization and me after participating in this course?"
Alumni Lifelong Learning:
15% discount for Maastricht School of Management registered Alumni
Dean's Development Fund:
Select your country below to see the actual price of the program (full tuition fee-/-DDF scholarship)
The tuition fee of this course is (select country).
MSM reserves the right to postpone or cancel the program in case the number of participants does not meet the MSM requirements for minimum number of participants. Any payment made to MSM for tuition fee will be refunded. In the case of postponement or cancellation of the program MSM will inform the enrolled candidates at least six weeks before the planned start of the program.
By the participant:
- If an admitted participant decides against participation after the tuition fee has been paid, cancellation costs are €200,- (administrative costs)
- In case cancellation is done after the program has started no money will be refunded.
- No cancellation charges are incurred if the enrolled participant, with written consent of MSM, will be replaced by another participant before the start of the course. Refunded tuition fees will only be reimbursed to the sponsoring party and cannot be forwarded or redeemed by any other party.
- Participants who were not granted a visa to enter The Netherlands, can be fully reimbursed if written official documentation is provided of such visa denial.
Applicants should have the ability to function academically and professionally at Bachelor level and should have an adequate level of spoken and written English.
Reasons to follow the Research Management course
- Understand how to manage research more strategically for societal impact within universities and other research institutions.
- Develop the managerial skills to strengthen the strategic research capacity of your institution
- Learn how to link new knowledge and skills directly to the daily practice of your organization through the practice oriented and focused approach
- Get inspired by the exposure visits and guest lectures from experts and find new ways for your organization to build its organizational research capacity
- Benefit from the interactive learning environment and exchange views and experiences with higher education peers and experts