Enhance the capacity of university middle management
Higher education institutions operate in a fast changing and demanding context characterized by a growing and diversifying student body, increased accountability, limited funding, technological developments and the need for enhanced quality and relevance. Universities are expected to open up and respond to the outside world and significantly contribute to national objectives.
For universities to respond properly to these changes and developments, university leadership and management capacity is crucial, not only at the university level but also at the middle management level of departments and colleges. Essential middle management and leadership tasks include creating a long term vision for the future of the department, planning short term activities, developing the departmental organization and leading the academic and administrative staff.
This program helps current and future university middle managers in understanding and in executing their role and tasks.
Higher & Vocational Education
30 Oct - 3 Nov 2017
Following topics will be part of the course
- Challenges and changing context of higher education
- Management levels and management tasks
- Leadership and management
- Planning tools for management
- Developing aspirations and strategy
- University structure, culture and decision making
- Role of leadership and management in planned change
- Leadership styles
- Academic staff and leadership
- Relationship with higher level management
The program is designed for
- Current and prospective academic and administrative middle management of vocational and higher education institutions
- Lecturers involved in managerial and administrative tasks
Rita van Deuren
Dr. Rita van Deuren has worked in Dutch higher education for over 20 years in various positions and has experience in leading academic teams and in managing educational innovation projects. At Maastricht School of Management she currently is assistant professor in organizational theory & higher education management. As such she teaches courses on leadership, management, organizational theory and higher education. Her present research is concerned with organizational capacity development in higher education institutions in the developing world. Furthermore, her international experience originates from consultancy and project assignments in various countries around the world such as Zambia, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Burundi and Indonesia.
“The training is not only about knowledge, it is a handson practice. Nothing is impossible in the world as long as
one is ready for change and never give up after failures!”
Mr. Kassa Tilahun Arega, Ethiopia
ScholarshipsAvailable MSM Scholarships for private sponsorship candidates >
Dean's Development Fund: select your country below to see the actual price
The tuition fee of this course is € 2499.
Tuition fee includes all course materials and study materials. Tuition fee does not include housing, food and living expenses. Participants are required to arrange their own housing facilities. MSM can assist in finding hotel accommodation.
Alumni Lifelong Learning:
15% discount for Maastricht School of Management registered Alumni
15% for 2 participants coming from the same organization within 1 academic year
25% for 3 particpants coming from the same organizatin within 1 academic year
40% for 4 - 6 participants coming from the same organization within 1 academic year
For > 6 participants we will offer a tailor made program
European Star Scholarship:
50% for European citizens and long term residents. Sumbit a 2 - 3 page essay on the topic: "What will be the positive change for my organization and me after participating in this course?".
MSM reserves the right to postpone or cancel the program in case the number of participants does not meet the MSM requirements for minimum number of participants. Any payment made to MSM for tuition fee will be refunded. In the case of postponement or cancellation of the program MSM will inform the enrolled candidates at least six weeks before the planned start of the program.
By the participant:
If an admitted participant decides against participation, she/he or, if applicable, the sponsor is liable for the following cancellation costs:
• 25% of the tuition fee if cancellation is between eight to seven weeks before the start of the program.
• 50% of the tuition fee if cancellation is between six to four weeks before the start of the program.
• 75% of the tuition fee if cancellation is within four weeks of the start of the program.
• In case cancellation is done after the program has started no money will be refunded.
• No cancellation charges are incurred if the enrolled candidate or the client, with written consent of MSM, will be replaced by another candidate before the start of the course.Refunded tuition fees will only be reimbursed to the sponsoring party and cannot be forwarded or redeemed by any other party.
Candidates who were not granted a visa to enter The Netherlands, can be fully reimbursed if written official documentation is provided of such visa denial.
2 October 2017
Applicants should have the ability to function academically and professionally at Bachelor level and should have an adequate level of spoken and written English.
Reasons to follow the Fundamentals of University Leadership and Management Executive course
- Get introduced and sensitized to the main tasks of university middle management
- Benefit from the practice oriented approach that provides you with tools and instruments to strengthen your capacity in leadership and management tasks
- Work together and exchange views with higher education managers from around the world in a multicultural and diverse environment
- Get inspired by classes and sessions with guest lecturers with managerial experience
- Learn from and enjoy the exposure work visit to a local university