Data management and mining for better business
Google recently started marketing itself as a “machine learning first company” but what does that mean and why does Google expect every employee to understand the basics of machine learning and data analytics?
It is clear that they see a key basis of productivity, growth, innovation and consumer surplus in exploiting the vast amounts of data that they have but also that having the data alone is not enough. You need to have the skills, infrastructure and enablers in place.
Consider for instance the vast amount of data that is collected in smart cities. Almost everything is measured but in domains such as urban freight which impact the lives of millions of citizens, data is gathered through traditional surveys instead of using the sensors carried by people, built into the city and transportation fleet. This is as well due to a lack of analytical skills but also a lack of management understanding of the possibilities of using data science. Experience has taught us that next to pure mathematical, statistical and machine learning skills, many big data scientist lack business skills but also that many business people lack knowledge of machine learning and hacker skills and this hinders reaping the sociological and business benefits of the data collected.
The goal of this course is to help managers, researchers and data scientists cross the bridge.
Complex Problem Solving
25 Sep - 6 Oct 2017
The Mastering of Big Data Analytics executive course at MSM teaches you the main aspects of big data and data science. This two-week program is divided into two one-week courses. In the first week a general management foundation and understanding of big data will be created. In the second week we will delve deeper into providing necessary tools and knowledge to lead a big data team. Depending on where you are in your big data career, you can choose to follow the overall two-week Mastering Big Data Analytics course or either the one-week course "Turn big data into competitive advantage" or "Value creation with big data".
At the end of this program you will:
- Be able to understand the decision context you are in, select and apply the right decision tool
- Understand what big data, data science and artificial intelligence is and what it can do for your company
- Understand how to perform a simple data science project
- Build visualizations that help to explore data but also to explain findings to help you impact decisions
- Be able to select the right machine learning tool for a job
- Use self-service tools to implement a machine learning project
- Build complex and interactive visualizations
- Use the Python programming language to handle complex analytical jobs
- Deploy jobs as webservices
Week 1 (Turn big data into competitive advantage):
|Morning||Decision making context||Data visualization||Introduction to Machine Learning||Introduction to Big Data Tools||Making better decisions when little data is available|
|Lunch||Lunch @ MSM||Lunch @ MSM||Lunch @ MSM||Lunch @ MSM||Lunch @ MSM|
* Introduction to Big Data and teh data driven process
* Process Mining
|Data visualization||Introduction to Machine Learning||Project||Project|
Week 2 (Value creation with big data):
|Morning||Review Machine learning concepts and big data tools||Advanced data visualization||Machine learning: regression||Machine learning: unsupervised learning||Real-time data processing|
|Lunch||Lunch @ MSM||Lunch @ MSM||Lunch @ MSM||Lunch @ MSM||Lunch @ MSM|
|Evening||Python for data science: guided workshop||Advanced data visualization||Machine learning: classification||Neural networks||Natural language processing|
- An introduction to applied decision sciences
- Data driven decision making with the help of big data and artificial intelligence
- (Advanced) data visualization with Tableau
- How to marry expert knowledge with facts and data to make better decisions
- How data can be used inside your company
- Non mathematical deep dive into data science
- Big data machine learning on AzureML (Microsoft)
- Python fo data scientists.
- Case studies
- Online excercises
Managers, entrepreneurs and researchers with a keen interest in linking business needs with data technology should attend this course. This 10-day course can help you secure job titles such as:
- Chief Data Officer
- Chief Analytics Officer
- Business Analyst
- Project Manager Data Science & Big Data
- Sales Manager Data Analytics
- Data Scientist
- Business Integrator
Davy Cielen, MSc, is Senior Lecturer in Business Data Analytics at Maastricht School of Management. He holds a BSc in Commercial Engineering from Solvay Management School, Vrije Universiteit Brussel (2011) and an MSc in Applied Economics from Vrije Universiteit Brussels (2016). Davy is pursuing a PhD at IESEG School of Management (Lille, France) in Big Data Analytics for Business since 2015.
The full tuition fee
The tuition fee of this course is € 4,498.
Tuition fee includes all course materials and study materials. Tuition fee does not include housing, food and living expenses. Participants are required to arrange their own housing facilities. MSM can assist in finding hotel accommodation.
15% for 2 participants coming from the same organization within 1 academic year
25% for 3 particpants coming from the same organizatin within 1 academic year
40% for 4 - 6 participants coming from the same organization within 1 academic year
For > 6 participants we will offer a tailor made program
European Star Scholarship:
50% for European citizens and long term residents. Submit a 2 - 3 page essay on the topic: "What will be the positive change for my organization and me after participating in this course?"
Alumni Lifelong Learning:
15% discount for Maastricht School of Management registered Alumni
Dean's Development Fund:
Select your country below to see the actual price of the program (full tuition fee-/-DDF scholarship)
The tuition fee of this course is (select country).
The application fee is € 20.
MSM reserves the right to postpone or cancel the program in case the number of participants does not meet the MSM requirements for minimum number of participants. Any payment made to MSM for tuition fee will be refunded. In the case of postponement or cancellation of the program MSM will inform the enrolled candidates at least six weeks before the planned start of the program.
By the participant:
If an admitted participant decides against participation, she/he or, if applicable, the sponsor is liable for the following cancellation costs:
• 25% of the tuition fee if cancellation is between eight to seven weeks before the start of the program.
• 50% of the tuition fee if cancellation is between six to four weeks before the start of the program.
• 75% of the tuition fee if cancellation is within four weeks of the start of the program.
• In case cancellation is done after the program has started no money will be refunded.
• No cancellation charges are incurred if the enrolled candidate or the client, with written consent of MSM, will be replaced by another candidate before the start of the course. Refunded tuition fees will only be reimbursed to the sponsoring party and cannot be forwarded or redeemed by any other party.
Candidates who were not granted a visa to enter The Netherlands, can be fully reimbursed if written official documentation is provided of such visa denial.
28 August 2017
Applicants should have the ability to function academically and professionally at Bachelor level and should have an adequate level of spoken and written English.
Reasons to follow the Mastering Big Data Analytics course
- Know the main elements of Big Data and Data Science
- Understand the principles of working with Big Data Sources
- Be able to define, plan and execute a small big data analysis yourself
- Be able to define, plan and implement a big data application in a team
- Translate data into actionable insights that create value for your business